Criminal Injuries Compensation
Criminal Injuries Compensation
In order to begin the process of claiming compensation, you can submit your details using the ‘Start your claim today’ form and a member of our CICA team will be in contact with you.
If you would prefer you could complete our ‘Online Claim Form’. This will take around 5 – 10 minutes to complete.
Alternatively, if you would like to speak with a member of our CICA team via telephone you can contact us on 0151 203 1104.
What Is The CICA?
The CICA, short for The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, is a government funded organisation that was created to provide compensation for blameless victims of violent crime.
It is the responsibility of The CICA to control the administration of The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme in England, Scotland and Wales.
If you, a friend or a family member have suffered a physical or psychological injury (or both) as a result of a violent crime, you may be entitled to compensation under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme.
In accordance with The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme, blameless victims of violent crime who have suffered either a physical or psychological injury (or both) may be entitled to compensation ranging from £1,000 to £500,000. Our dedicated team of solicitors will fight to secure you the compensation you are entitled to.
Can I Claim Compensation From The CICA?
The CICA determines whether or not to make an award of compensation by following a set of rules known as The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme.
In accordance with The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme an innocent victim’s eligibility for an award is determined from a set criteria, whereby minimum conditions are enforced which must be met before a victim can apply for compensation.
You may be eligible for compensation if:
- The criminal incident was reported to the police without any delay and as soon as reasonably possible. Any unreasonable delay may result in rejection of a claim by The CICA.
- Your injuries meet the minimum award of £1,000 (our CICA team will assess this during our initial conversation).
- The incident happened within the last two years (There are special circumstances where you may still be able to claim from The CICA if the incident happened more than two years ago, as there are certain circumstances whereby the two year time limit can be waived. The most common circumstance of the time limit being waved is in relation to claims involving sexual assault or abuse).
- The incident occurred in England, Scotland or Wales.
How Much Can I Claim?
If you satisfy the criteria for an award of compensation under The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme, there is a set tariff of awards that are available depending on the type of injuries you have sustained. Examples of some awards available under the Scheme are as follows:
- Fractured Jaw – £1,500
- Fractured Skull – £1,000
- Loss of Front Tooth – £1,500
- Serious Scarring to Face – £11,000
- Sexual Assault, Touching Over Clothing – £1,000
How Do I Start My Claim?
You can begin the process of claiming by either submitting your details using the ‘Start your claim today’ form, completing our ‘Online Claim Form’ or contacting us via telephone, 0151 203 1104.
After you have provided us with details in regards to the criminal matter and the injuries you have sustained, we will inform you whether or not we believe you are entitled to compensation under the Scheme.
Any questions you have in regards to the Scheme will be answered during your initial conversation with a member of our CICA team.